- "Pieters" is pronounced as "Peters".
- My official title is "Assistant Instructional Professor"
- Feel free to reach out with media or speaker requests by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org: I consider public communication and education about economics or my area of economic research an important part of my role as an academic. However! To protect my time I no longer talk at events where my travel and accommodation are not compensated. If people are required to buy tickets to attend you need to pay me an honorarium. Standard exemptions for academia and policy institutions apply. From October to May I may be slow to respond.
Media Interview: Audio (Radio or Podcast)
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) Tai Asks Why: “What is the Future of Money?” (forthcoming)
- BBC Business Daily Podcast: "Why does Bitcoin consume so much energy?" (Feb 26, 2021)
- Made in Tech: “Vibrant cryptocurrency growth has excited many. Can Regulation spoil it?” (Feb 12, 2021)
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC): The Digital Human, “Oops!” (Feb 24, 2020)
- Texas Public Radio (TPR) The Source: “Cash, Credit, Cryptocurrency: How Do You Choose to Pay?” (panel member on a call-in show, Jan. 2, 2018)
- WBEZ Chicago - Worldview: "What is Blockchain Technology and Why Should We Care?" (July 30, 2018)
- Scholars’ Circle Radio Show: “Cryptocurrency, Insights from Scholars” (April 15, 2018)
- WBEZ Chicago – Worldview: “What Is Blockchain Technology and Why Should We Care?” (July 30, 2018)
- National Public Radio (NPR) Marketplace: "Why pay a ransom in bitcoin?" (May 15, 2017)
- NPR Marketplace Tech: "The rise of cryptocurrencies" (June 22, 2017)
Media Interview: Written or Quote
- Cointelegraph Magazine: “Crypto as a 'public good' in the 22nd Century” (October 22 2021)
- Cointelegraph Magazine: “Is the cryptocurrency epicenter moving away from East Asia?” (10 August 2021)
- Cointelegraph: "Terrorists still raise money through crypto, but the impact is limited" (9 April 2021)
- BBC Science: "How Bitcoin's vast energy use could burst its bubble" (27 February 2021)
- Cointelegraph: "Happy Birthday Dear Bitcoin: Crypto's first white paper turns 12" (October 2020)
- Nikkei: "Digital currency collaborative research, interviews with American experts" (January 22, 2020)
- Breaker Mag: Economists Are Missing a Trick With Crypto (April 15, 2019)
- The Block: Mad Crypto: Hypothesizing bitcoin in a downcycle (August 7, 2019)
- The Street: "How Fidelity Is Normalizing Bitcoin" (August 10, 2017)
- Experian: "What is Bitcoin and should you buy it?" (September 12, 2017)
- CoinDesk: What is a Cryptocurrency? We Need Clearer Definitions (December 31, 2019)
Non-Technical/Media-Focused Summaries of Research
- Digital Currencies and Central Banks (2021) Book chapter, no media version.
- Private and Hybrid Blockchains and Applications (2021) Book chapter, no media version.
- Taxing Blockchain Forks (2020) No media version. See "Research" page.
- 3rd Global Cryptoasset Benchmarking Study (2020)
- 2nd Global Cryptoasset Benchmarking Study (2019)
- Distributed Ledger Technology Systems: A Conceptual Framework (2018)
- Bitcoin Reveals Exchange Rate Manipulation & Detects Capital Controls (2018)
- Financial Regulation and Price Inconsistencies across Bitcoin Markets (2017) No media version. See "Research" page.
- The Potential Impact of Decentralized Virtual Currency on Monetary Policy (2017)
- Blockchain Technology Disrupting Traditional Records Systems (2017)